Here’s a recipe that contains one of my all-time cheesy favorites: baked cottage cheese. For this recipe, I was inspired by one of my colleagues. I noticed her eating stuffed peppers with cream cheese at work, but I figured it was a great idea for this recipe to use cottage cheese instead.
I decided my air fryer could play a part in creating this side dish of baked sweet peppers stuffed with cottage cheese, although it’s also easy enough to make using your oven. Serve it as a starter, or maybe as a side alongside some garlic bread or your favorite Italian main course.Jump to Recipe
What is cottage cheese?
Ever heard of Dutch cheese or Schmierkase? These are some of the nicknames for cottage cheese, a healthy and nutritious unripened cheese made from cow’s milk. Since cottage cheese is low in fat and high in protein, it’s popular among fitness enthusiasts.
What about its odd appearance? The granular texture makes cottage cheese different from other unripened cheeses like cream cheese. This has all to do with its production process.
You can find more about this in our cottage cheese profile. This profile presents all the cheesy facts you need to know about this cheese, from the production process to its nutritional value!
Baked cottage cheese stuffed sweet peppers: ingredients & method
For this cheesy dish, you only need a few ingredients that pair well with cottage cheese. You probably already have these lying around:
- Sweet pointed peppers: The sweetness of the pointed peppers combines very well with the cottage cheese. You can also use other vegetables to stuff, like eggplant, zucchini, and so on.
- Parsley: Fresh is best, but dried works in a pinch.
- Provençal herbs: Either fresh or dried. I used a mixture of dried herbs: basil, rosemary, thyme and oregano.
- Spring onion: As garnish and for an extra flavor kick.
- Olive oil: Just a drizzle before baking.
Once you’ve gathered all the ingredients, putting together your baked cottage cheese stuffed peppers couldn’t be easier. Prep the pointed peppers by washing, de-seeding and cutting them into quarters.
For the cottage cheese mixture, just stir together the cheese and herbs before placing the mixture inside the peppers. Drizzle with olive oil and then bake in the air fryer for 10 minutes or until the peppers are nice and golden.
Of course, you can also prepare this recipe in the oven. It’s just a bit slower: the peppers may need up to 30 minutes of cooking time.
Baked cottage cheese stuffed sweet peppers
- Air fryer
- small mixing bowl
- 4 red pointed peppers
- 7 oz cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp parsley fresh or dried
- 1 tbsp provençal herbs fresh or dried
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh spring onion
- Place the cottage cheese and herbs in a bowl and mix.
- Wash the peppers, remove the seeds and stalks, and cut in quarters.
- Stuff the peppers with the cottage cheese mixture and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the peppers in the air fryer at 365 °F/185 °C for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, chop the spring onion.
- Remove from the air fryer and sprinkle some fresh spring onion on top. Enjoy!
- Although the air fryer is a quicker solution, you can make this recipe in the oven. Just preheat to 365 °F/185 °C and bake for 30 minutes, or until the peppers are lightly browned.
If you have any questions or suggestions about preparing these quick and easy baked cottage cheese stuffed peppers, don’t forget to leave a comment below!